Friday, November 28, 2008

From One Browser To Another




Why is that different browsers display the same page with peculiar little mutations? As a new blogger, I'm finding out through good old trial and error what works and what doesn't.

...it still is pretty much the best way to learn
...you need to first fail before you actually learn

I have been switching back and forth amongst Firefox, Explorer and Safari, trying to find one that works best for everything I want to do on the PC. Not gonna happen. The blogging editor that I am using (that Google has been so nice to provide for nothing) appears to be very picky as to which browser you run it in. I finally settled on Safari because everything functions and it seems to position everything in the right place. Explorer works next best but some stuff takes more than a full screen so you end up scrolling a lot. Firefox just doesn't like this program. The editor is just screwed up so it isn't a good choice for creation or editing.

Strangely, each browser displays the blog in view mode somewhat differently. This is very important to remember if you are writing your own blog. Just because it looks good on your screen, doesn't mean it will on someone else's. 

The reason I don't settle on one browser is that each has its own strengths and weaknesses. I have a particular game that I like that I play via Facebook (Mafia Wars). Some of the functions don't work in Safari and each browser displays the fonts and action buttons differently. I like the way you can customize Firefox with add ons. So I will continue to bounce back and forth.

I found setting up my blog as home page in Safari to be quite handy. Just minimize it when it's resting. You can call it up in a flash when the light goes on with that brilliant idea that you just have to write about.

...it's still a whole lot better than my old DOS days
...using DOS has left its scars
...I still pretty much do one thing at a time
...but then again, multitasking has its limitations (yet, another topic)



No comments: